Language: Part 5, Key Issue one particular
Where Happen to be English-Language Loudspeakers Distributed?
Rubenstein, pp. 137-143.
______________________________________________________________________________________ в—Џ ORIGIN AND DIFFUSION OF ENGLISH
1 . How would English turn into to broadly diffused?
installment payments on your What three European individuals originally gathered to form the English persons and English language?
several. Where do these people come from?
4. What two succeeding invasions added additional words and phrases to the innovating English vocabulary?
в—Џ DIALECTS OF ENGLISH
5. Dialects reflect specific features of the surroundings where organizations live. Dialects are thought as " local variations of your languageвЂќ and are also distinguished simply by three points. List all of them. 1 .
6th. Define isogloss.
7. Define standard dialect.
8. What is the standard dialect form of The english language? Where did it come from (3 cities)? How was this diffused through Britain?
on the lookout for. In a single term, why is American English unlike that spoken in England?
12. Finish the two following phrases and fill out the blanks: п‚·
Most of the time, words which can be different in several dialects will be words that are related to...
Language distinctions, as exhibited in dialects, tend to always be greater in _______________________ than _______________________ because...
11. People from all eastern regions migrated in the Midwest, Great Plains, plus the Western United States. Why, then, is there a comparatively uniform kind of English (dialect) spoken throughout this substantial area? (Hint: a single word will do. )
Language: Chapter 5, Important Issue a couple of
Why Is The english language Related to Different Languages?
Rubenstein, pp. 143-151.
________________________________________________________________________ 1 . What is the between a language family members, a dialect branch and a dialect group?
в—Џ INDO-EUROPEAN LIMBS
2 . Germanic branch: Finish this data from the reading.
3. Indo-Iranian Branch: Generate two topic charts from the reading.
4A. Balto-Slavic Branch: How performed Russian end up being the most important East Slavic vocabulary?
4B. What is the most important West Slavic vocabulary?
4C. Explain the controversy between Czech and Slovak languages under Czechoslovakia's govt? What happened?
4D. Why are To the south Slavic languages, which were once very similar to each other, becoming increasingly different today?
Language: Chapter 5, Key Concern 2
Why Is English Associated with Other Different languages?
Rubenstein, pp. 143-151.
________________________________________________________________________ 5. List the five major Romantic languages. What makes there numerous romantic dialects?
6. While the Both roman Army conquered Europe, other dialects were put out or suppressed. What dialect did the Romance 'languages' evolve via?
7. Precisely what is Vulgar Latin? How made it happen develop?
almost 8. Why are right now there so many romantic endeavors language dialects? How have got these dialects spread to other parts on the planet?
9. Just how is there today a common crafted Portuguese language? What was the final product on this process?
в—Џ ORIGIN AND DIFFUSION OF INDO-EUROPEAN
5a. What is the name of the (theoretical) prevalent ancestral vocabulary of all 'languages' discussed in this key concern of the chapter?
5b. Why is its presence difficult (impossible? ) to prove?
six. Contrast the two views of the origin on this language in the table below.
Language: Section 3, Crucial Issue 3
Where Is also Language People Distributed?
Rubenstein, pp. 151-156.
DIALECTS FAMILIES OF THE EARTH
Make brief notes on each of the subsequent language family members as you read about them in this section. Note: They are listed in purchase by volume of speakers, rather than in the purchase they occur in the reading.
Indo-European Family (2. 915 billion dollars speakers)
Sino-Tibetan Relatives (1. 257 billion speakers)
Austronesian Family (366 million speakers)...